• Cyprus was a former British colony which gained independence from the UK in 1960.
• Conflict between the Greek Cypriot majority in the south, and Turkish Cypriot minority in the north, came to a head in 1963 when fighting broke out between the two parties.
• UN peacekeepers were deployed in 1964 and there is still a visible presence there to this day, in the form of a buffer zone policed by the UN.
• The Turkish government intervened in 1974 and brought peace to the district.
• In 1983 the North area of the island declared independence as the “Turkish Republic of North Cyprus”.
• In May 2004 South Cyprus joined the EU. Relations continue to improve and it is not unlikely that any differences between the two sides will be fully resolved in the very near future.
• Cyprus, Northern Cyprus in particular, remains the last undiscovered Mediterranean destination.
In Bafra, on the coast of Northern Cyprus the new Whiterocks luxury resort is being built by Blue C Developments. See the availability section of this website for further details of your dream home or contact us on Freephone (UK): 0800 328 0126 or N Cyprus: +90 392 8155 272 alternatively you can register for updates to be kept informed of special offers and progress in the development.
Cyprus population: 788,500 (July 2007 Est.)
Northern Cyprus: 265,000